Thursday, March 26, 2020

"Welcome to the New America"

Let me see if I can get this blog restarted.

I took my wife's car (she's not driving because of illness) out for a drive this morning.  It's a hybrid (the car, not my wife), and its batteries seem to thrive on activity.  That plus the one-time mechanic in me says that precious mechanical fluids should be kept sloshing around the seals otherwise they'll dry out and leak their fluids onto the garage floor and the dog will come along and slurp them up and only God knows what'll happen then.

My route took me to the American River Parkway, the parkway's Disabled Fishing Access picnic pavilion to be specific.  I didn't see any crippled fish there, but there were a few magpies, some wild turkeys, and a lot of Canada geese.  I got out of the car and ambled around to get a wider view of the geese.  A few flew in from time to time, and a few left.  Otherwise, the grassy areas were blanketed with geese pecking for seeds, greens, fiber, who knows.

How could so many birds be so blind to the crisis we've got going on?  They seemed oblivious to the smell of human panic (?) anxiety (?).

On my way back to the car, my path set me on a collision course with a man striding in from my left.  The six-foot social distance rule was about to violated if one of us didn't do something.

I stepped back and remarked, "I 'd stand closer, but I don't want to breathe on you."

He grinned and said, "Welcome to the new America."

Well, there you have it.  The New America should provide plenty of topics for blog posts.  And as a nonessential guy doing nonessential stuff, I should find something to say.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment