Thursday, April 15, 2021

Train Time ๐Ÿš†๐Ÿš†⛒⛒

In cruising around the web, I came across a site that took me back to a part of my life that I enjoyed tremendously.  It was also a part of American life that has largely disappeared.

The site is chicagorailfan.com, by Bill Vandervoort.

Chicago, my hometown, was and still is the railroad hub of the United States.  You could show this on a map of the U.S. by sketching in train routes, joining them at Chicago, and then dropping a big blob of ink on their common juncture.  It would be an ugly map, one representing some yet-undiscovered species of humongous spider-centipede with spindly legs and a bulbous body.

At one time, eight large terminal buildings in Chicago’s Loop—the city’s downtown commercial and entertainment district—were the arrival and departure points for the passenger trains of 47 railroads.  Many of those railroads are now gone, and half of the terminals have been demolished or put to other uses. 

Of those 47 railroads, I rode on six; I also rode trains that went nowhere near Chicago, including one in England.  I suppose there was a lot to gripe about when traveling by train, but I was always hypnotized by just sitting there, watching the world go by.  And wondering: What is it like to live in that town?  Who lives in that house?   Why have those people let their backyard become a trash pile?   Along with other pointless thoughts.

I was an economy class traveler.  Most of my trips were short, and if I did travel overnight I bought a ticket in coach and got whatever sleep I could sitting up. 

Amenities and creature comforts were better than a stagecoach but somewhat scarce nevertheless.

The cars were heated, but in a commuter train packed full of people a lot of heat wasn’t necessary.   Air conditioning could have existed--that I don’t remember; passengers could open the windows, but at the risk of being pelted by an ember from the stack of a coal-burning locomotive.

Food wasn’t served on the short-haul routes I generally traveled; you had to bring your own or go hungry.  Drinking water was obtained from a tank at one end of the car and consumed from a paper cup that was foldable, reusable, and disposable. I’ve read that in the early days of rail travel, a single community cup was used by all passengers until someone read about germ theory and pushed through a few basic ideas about heath and sanitation.

At one end of the car was a small closet with a lockable door.  Inside was a toilet.  Lift the lid and see … the ground rushing by.  At any given moment trains were crisscrossing the land depositing human waste hither and thither.  I think that passengers were cautioned not to use the toilet when the train was stopped, but I can remember a conductor walking through the car and locking the toilet door as a train pulled into a station.

I had my first train ride when I was eight years old, to go with my parents from Chicago to South Bend, Indiana, for a funeral.  In my teens and until I was about twenty-one, trains were recreation and transportation for me. Then I bought a car.

It was great fun, and I’d do it again, especially since I’m old enough now to use the bar car.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment