Monday, September 26, 2022

Age, Please?

I haven't posted for a while, and I wasn't planning on posting because I have nothing to say--really, and actually too.

But last Friday I drove my car in for service and went to sit in the waiting area.  As I sat down near a gray-hired couple, the woman got up, went to the coffee pot, and brought me a cup of black coffee.  She asked if I wanted cream and sugar.  I answered her no and thanked her for the coffee.  She sat down next to the man, who introduced them saying, "I'm 87 and my wife is 66." 

And this morning, while running errands, I crossed shopping cart paths with an elderly couple.  The man wanted to chat for a while and said "I'm 83 and she's 67."

Now here we have examples of blabber-mouth husbands who delight in revealing the ages of their women.  

But maybe these are examples of accepted conversation among the elderly.  Maybe to talk properly with old people you must say how old you are..  The numerals that are a hint to your decrepitude also are signs of your qualifications.  Maybe someday we'll be wearing badges with big numerals on them.  

As for me, I'm 89, and my wife isn't. 

I began this post by writing I have nothing to say, and I think I've proved that.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment